Will,

Here is my take on saving the preset sound...

I'm sitting wondering if this is maybe a function of the VST plugin in combination with how BIAB interfaces with the plugin. There are a heap of different VSTi and DXi out there and it would be a challenge for PG Music to test all possibilities. I've just tried using Sampletank (a DXi and not VSTi) with one of the non-PG-Music sounds and it saved ok with the song. The FM8 may not interface on this level, though.

The only VSTi/DXi that I use in BIAB is Coyote WT. My reason for this is because its fast to load and to generate and it does the job well enough for finding a basic sound that lets me get the notes that I want for a part. Once I have the notes, then take my MIDI to Reaper where I use VSTi/DXi to dress up the sound to become what I want it to be. I've found that for my needs, a DAW is a better place to work with plugins.

In relation to Sampletank...

As Jim has mentioned, this used to come as a free plugin with BIAB. It was the VSTi that was first used when MIDI Supertracks first arrived in the program (if my memory is working properly). If you already have a heap of soft synths, there is probably no reason to get Sampletank.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024