Quote:

Almost missed this one, Wiz - terrific mix and you have one of those "pro voices" - intensity, feeling without straining. A very full yet sparse instrumentation mix. How did you do that effectively? Is the secret in the percussion/bass section. I'm asking because there's a lot that my ears won't decipher anymore listening to productions.
Two things - if you don't mind - a list of all the instruments used and the verb unit used.
Good one.
Ian

thanks again to everyone for all the feedback...its cool....sometimes we operate in a vacumn...8).

I love talking about gear and mixing and stuff...8)...so glad someone asked....

I work really hard on space...and making things as simple as I can, ironically, its really quite involved to make things work, without much going on...8)

Anyways

The acoustic guitar is a maton messiah, miced with a Mojave MA100 tube microphone.

The vocal is mic'd with a Mojave MA200 tube microphone

The tremelo guitar is my Fender Strat, into a Fender princeton, miced with a Shure SM57.

The guitar riff, is my epiphone les paul gold top, running into Amplitube Fender.

Drums and Bass are Real tracks from BIAB 2010.

I use UAD-1 plug ins, which on this track include 1176LN,LA2A, 33609 compressors and Neve 1081/1073 and pulteq EQ's.

The reverb on the vocal is a Plate 140 reverb from UAD.

The acoustic guitar, tremelo guitar and drums and vocals, have a convolution reverb across them, which has a room simulation on it.

The delay on the vocal in the chorus, is from Sonitus and comes in Sonar Producer 8..which I use.

There is extensive volume automation going on across every track...level riding....a bit up here, a bit down there.....light and shade.

So there are only drums, bass, acoustic guitar, vocal, tremelo guitar, and riff guitar in this song.

There has been a bit of editing of the real bass track, to simplify it and get it to work in context (taking a piece from one verse and using it here and there, that kind of thing). The bass and drums, have been adjusted timing wise...(quantized if you like) a bit from what BIAB generated, again ...just to gel everything together...its suprising how the little things add up...

anyways hope someone found that interesting...8)...

cheers everyone

Wiz