Here is/are my two-cents worth: Latest win 10 feature update to 1909 (Feb 2020). Left my Win 10 system at 90% upon forced restart for over 12 hours (you can shut down, but the next time you start up, update is forced) It also failed. Feature update to 1809 (Mar 2019)finally succeeded, but only with extra effort on my part. Check out the various forums (Microsoft, tenforums, etc. and you will see several users having like issues, especially with major updates (Feature). It's not the CPUs (Intel, AMD). I have multiple Win 7 systems, and they will stay that way, as they are functioning well. Even though Vista was problematic, it wasn't the nightmare of Win 8.0/8.1 or 10. Check out Cortana (viz., your friendly assistant), which is a resource (and privacy) hog. You can't remove or disable Cortana (ever see your mouse or keyboard get sluggish?), but you can modify the registry so that it doesn't go out to the internet (if connected) every time you type anything in the Windows search box. There is a simple mod to the registry limit the Windows search box to only search local (on your computer...possibly). At least this mod fixed the sluggish mouse/keyboard. Cortana logs every thing you type though. If you're not on line, it still caches for next time.

I still have (and use) Win XP Pro, with SONAR 5. Still reliable, and I have spare XPs if I ever need them.

True, Linux is not the cure-all, but the system/software update (if required) is far more reliable and more efficient than Windows. Reminds me of my earlier days with super and mini-super computers when updates were completely manageable and multi-intermediate reboots for updates/patches were unimaginable.

Rich

P.S. My old, non-computerized, non-solid state truck will still run when the modern vehicles get an EMP.