Thanks Matt,

There are issues with "winging it" in a studio. One, it cost a lot of money and two the engineer is not real happy to set around and listen to you rehearse.

So I agree and generally do the same as you. I am prepared before I walk in the door. I like to do stuff in one take when possible. In the past when it cost two or three K per song time would get your attention real quick...lol

Sometime you get to the studio and someone comes up with a new idea. In that case sometimes it is possible to work it out on the spot. Most of the time you have to go away and come back later.

Frequently guitar music is not as structured as horn lines. We often do not play the exact same thing twice. Yes, signature licks sure but the rest no.

When I have worked with a real pro drummer like Greg Bissonette for example, often he played exactly the right thing the first time around. You don't have to tell guys like that what to do.

The creation process normally happens in stages. Someone comes up with a set of lyrics or a melody line or a harmonic structure. Then who ever came up with the idea call in who ever he needs next to exchange ideas with. The idea person, in our case plays guitar most of the time, and a piano player is a good combination to start. It never works exactly the same way every time.

With the pandemic and the fact that the band members don't all live in the same city or even the same country, video is the only thing that is logical. Of course latency is a issue but there are ways to get around it.

The aversion to video is likely related to being shy or not having the needed self confidence.

I have been away from music for a long while so everything is a bit new to me...even my own guitar.

Thanks for your input.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo