Originally Posted By: rharv
Let alone many users envision this as an audio utopia, where EQing the ride has no effect on the Tom, or EQing the snare or bass drum has no effect on the other .. thenthrow in hihat <grin> If you don't think a typical hihat mic affects the snare and vice versa, well .. they normally sit pretty close together and would be really hard to isolate.

To get exclusive drum control you would need to use MIDI .. cause when you record drums, bleed happens.
You are going to hear the snare and BD on every mic .. it just happens.

So you EQ the snare, and now the snare that is coming through the crash mic has changed .. and then if you you throw some reverb/gate onto them, things can compound and get all haywire real fast smile Suddenly the hihat is louder only while the snare gate is open ..

Drums ain't easy, and PGMusic does a pretty dang good job on them for the purpose right now.

To answer Simon's question up a few posts
Quote:
How many mics would you want on an "expanded drum track"?

The above shows why that is really a case by case scenario .. but if I had to pick a number I'd say 8 (just from experience)
snare
hihat
BD snap
BD boom
overhead for cymbals/toms (panned)
overhead2 for cymbals/toms (panned)
ride bell
center

that would be my preference on a basic kit

Especially since a typical hi-hat mic is a condenser which will pick up TONS of bleed. My personal favourite mic for hi-hat is my Sennheiser ME64, which is a short shotgun mic. Or an SM57 of course - heck, I'll use 57's on literally everything if I have enough. I tend to prefer my dynamic mics over condenser half the time anyway, and not just on drums.

Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
This is JMO, but I'd be thrilled if we could just get stems on the kick and snare. Those are the two things I'd really love to have more control over in mixing.

I recognize this isn't optimal for those who would like to really fine tune the drums, but for the most party (again IMO) the drums sounds pretty solid in BIAB, and just having those two would be a big improvement.

Yeah, that would probably be enough for most people who want to tweak.

I work here