LP.... And I thought they were talking about the LES PAUL guitar. Those are really heavy but they do sound sooooo good..... but no.... this is talking about the old Long Play album. The old black vinyl disk. Commonly, simply referred to as "a record". ( Pronounced: reckerd) Oh, and not all vinyl is black. I have ELO Out of the Blue on clear blue vinyl.

I still have a nice collection and a platter to spin them on. I do occasionally dig one out and reminisce. Clicks, pops, and skips aside.... it was a great experience.

I'm on the side of things that say digital is totally acceptable to me because.... it's super portable, and there's no skips, pops, or clicks that were inherent in almost every vinyl disk that had been spun a few times in the average listener's house.

As far as hoping it comes back into style.... sure. Why not? If there's a market for it, it will happen. I remember when the digitally recorded CD first came out. And reading in Guitar Player magazine, a record review of TRIO... the first CD from Dolly, Linda, and Emmylou. The review was on the musical instruments and the artists playing on that CD, and yes, they did explore the outstanding vocals..... but the comment that stuck with me from that entire article was "this album was the reason the CD was invented". The crystal clear, pristine sound of the acoustic instruments was unrivaled by vinyl to that point. Indeed, listening to that CD album with headphones or on a nice Cerwin Vega speaker system was a delight.

I'm wondering what the next step in the evolutionary scale of music reproduction will be.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.