Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens
Originally Posted By: rayc
If you want to be caught in the trap of musical form/structure, comfortable progressions, conventional melodies & harmonies then start copying/changing what has come before.
Alternately you could start but opening BIAB by picking a style you like the sound of, changing some components of it to suit your taste and then bang in chords until you're like the sound of them together.
Far, far too many people are trapped by "the rules" of Western Musical tradition which is really only based on a couple of centuries of music that was controlled by the very rich and very powerful or you could, I suppose heed those who say learn the rules to break them, but it's a trap. Ignore the rules and mix things you like to make the stew you want.
UNLESS you want to work in an established style, with all of it's attendant requirements.

You are demonstrating here a breathtaking - I don't know if it is ignorance or misrepresentation - of what music theory even is and of it's purpose.

And you, dear Dickens, demonstrate a breathtaking ignorance of the value of ignorance.
So much so that I 1st thought "What the Dickens!"

Children open software and start - fearless and buoyed by the knowledge that almost everything digital is easily replaced if a stuff up, crash or delete happens or if they're not pleased with the result of their endeavours. They do similar with almost everything they start, unless closely supervised and directed, explore in ignorance and discover in delight.

Most could sing before they could talk, could draw before they could write, could dance before they could march. All of these things are moved to the background when adults perceive the need for a child to replace the creative with more easily understood/measurable/quantifiable communication.
You sir are an oppressor at heart.

If the OP wants to work in an established style and meet established expectations I invited them to respond accordingly.

Last edited by rayc; 11/17/22 11:38 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe