Proportionally I've started with lyrics 1st for about 75% of my stuff.

I had a bank of lyrics waiting for songs but as I'm spending more time with the music side of things I've had less time to write lyrics I've depleted my swag and have had to write "on demand" of late.

For me, usually, the music carries the mood and intent of the lyric rather than the reverse.
This is probably why a) my songs are wordy and b) the music of my songs lack familiarity.

Writing to match the music usually leaves me with more impressionistic, vague lyrics that, when spoken/sung, have a "sound" more than a narrative. There's also a matter of the melody being an after though along with the words if I work this way.

Instrumental songs don't have a lyric, (though there is a vocabulary), but they, usually, have a melody & a "voice".
I'm part way through an instrumental song because I lack the lyrics, the parts are too long for my very limited vocal range to maintain interest and it makes an interesting change. I've chosen cello as the "voice" because it's not far away from a human baritone AND I know a good cellist.

Last edited by rayc; 06/04/23 04:43 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe