Originally Posted by dcuny
One of the many problems with AI is that it doesn't actually create - it merely recycles.<...snip...>
You can say that about quite a few songwriters and bands. Through my years of performing in cover bands, I've noticed a lot of bands and single artists doing 3 versions of the same song. 3 seems to be the magic number.

When I was working with Motown, Berry Gordy gave us the same talk he reportedly gave to others, I'll paraphrase. Don't try something new, write what is already out there and already a hit.

It has to be similar enough to be recognized and immediately be liked by the audience. While it has to be predictable, it must be different just enough so it isn't predictable 100% of the time. That little twist makes all the difference in the world.

What A! might not have yet, and might someday, is that little human spark of creativity that recycles what went before, but add just a bit of something new.

But when we write pop music, are we really doing something new, or a mash-up of more than one old thing?

It's doubtless that AI is coming after a lot of jobs. I just hope it doesn't take mine soon. I'm not a songwriter, I'm a performer. DJs have already taken too much of my market, I don't need A! taking the rest. wink

Notes ♫

Last edited by Notes Norton; 11/22/23 06:47 AM. Reason: speling misteak

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks