Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
“Something different than minimizing an error function”? This could mean almost anything. An apple is different than minimizing an error function.
Training neural networks is based on minimizing error values. Iteratively generating images is based on minimizing error values. The core of neural networks is generating results with the lowest error value.

What I mean by "creates" is that there's an awareness of what's been created. Neural networks don't know about the algorithm they're running, or the data they are processing. It doesn't "know" if it's generating an image, or writing code. It's just applying learned weights to data.

Generative AI creates new content like images, text and relationships based on information it has learned from a training dataset and a set of rules.
"Rules" are typically inferred from the training data. Or they're hard-coded into the design of the neural network.

The training data is created by people, the valuation of the training data is created by people, and design and evaluation of the neural network is also supplied by people.

And it is a tool and has already surpassed the capabilities of a human. Tools that surpass human capability is nothing new in our history.
I also suggested that these systems are only just tools.

Because these machine allow us to exceed what we could do without them doesn't mean that these machines exceed us. A hammer without a person can't pick itself up and drive nails. Nor would it right to say that a sailing boat has "pluck and courage".

Then why attribute neural networks with the ability to create?

There are tools that surpass our ability to fly; think airplane.
Yes, but that's not a difficult ability to surpass, wouldn't you agree?

It is easy to connect the dots. Why couldn’t our brains be surpassed?
I'm not saying that our brains can't be surpassed. I'm saying that neural networks aren't intelligent.

ChatGPT can just as easily "hallucinate" a complete false answer as generate a correct one. It has no ability to discriminate between the two, or even comprehend the meaning of its output.

And there is a tool that has already proven it can discover and create new and relevant relationships between variables that humans haven’t seen, we call this tool artificial intelligence and we ain’t even seen the tip of the iceberg yet. Drug discovery and protein folding are just two areas where this has and will shine.
We called lots of things "artificial intelligence", but that doesn't make the manifestations of "intelligence".

And for the first time in our history we have a tool that can create a tool.
You mean, like a machine that can build a hammer? Because that already existed.

ChatGPT4 can write software (in more than one language).
ChatGPT doesn't decide for itself that it wants to write a program, any more than a hammer-building machine decides that it wants to build a hammer.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?