Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
Originally Posted by MarioD
I stand corrected.
Don't consider it a correction; you're absolutely right that for most uses USB has superceded.

If, though, I wish to connect together my Kawai and my Korg, both have USB device connections and neither has a USB host connection into which to plug another keyboard, so I can't directly connect them together and send MIDI between them. I can only do that via a PC or a USB<->MIDI adaptor as mentioned by 'Notes'. Both, though, have 5-pin MIDI connectors, so the patch is easy.
The same applies with connecting a lkeyboard to my Ketron SD1000.

In practice I generally use a PC in the middle, because patching MDI and audio around between hardware and applications is easy in Linux once one's learned ones way around the rather arcane Jack Audio Connection Kit. There are some Windows tools that achieve similar ... I'm thinking Camelot or Cantabile, but I think there are others and they appear sensible.

Yes, I have daisy-chained hard synths before. I use soft synths now so I am out of the MIDI connection loop. I still have my hard synths connected to my computer just in case I need or want to use them. Although the sounds are dated some are still very usable.

You know you're getting old when a recliner and a heating pad is your idea of a hot date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware