Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
I've been trying to analyse the Dave Brubeck band's "Take Five" and it seems to fail fairly spectacularly to do what it should. It thinks it's in 4/4 (OK, easily enough fixed) and unsurprisingly I have to correct the timing at the beginning. It looks like it probably gets the chords right. But it fails to get most of the stems anything like right. Drums are OK, bass may be OK, most other instruments are in "The Rest" apart from some occasional witterings and the odd section where it decides the Sax is a guitar

I've been using the program intensively during the last months, and it's by far, the best buy I've made in many years, I'm saving sooooooo much time when transcribing songs / entire repertoires.

The program, however, is not perfect, and still have its limitations. I'm not sure which stem separation algorhtym is used by the program, but in any case, the algorhtym has been trained to meet the demands of most musicians and music aficionados, which means that works REALLY well with mainstream music (essentially modern pop and rock tunes), and not so well with jazz, and other not so popular styles.

It also works pretty well with modern mixes (from 1970s onwards), but not so well with older songs where, for example, the bass may be panned all the way to the right, while the drums are panned all the way to the right.

Regarding chord recognition, the program, again, does a great job with simple harmonic material (pop, rock, blues, soul, funk tunes) but may have some problems with more advanced, jazz based, compositions.

I've also found that the quality of the source has a great impact on the results: just avoid 192khz and below MP3s.

Knowing these limitations is essential to get the most out of the program, and avoid getting frustrated.

Last edited by Cerio; 04/15/24 10:25 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.