Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I have been tearing my hair out trying to get the musical flat symbol to appear in the title.

I have set it to use the jazz fonts PGTextJ Font.

If I use a lower case b I get a smaller capitalized B

If I use Alt 0132 (Font Character code 84) I get commas

For example if I call it:

"Bb Scale exercise" it prints out "BB Scale Exercise" or "B,, Scale Exercise"

Using the standard (non-jazz) PG fonts using a lower case b works.

Anyone have suggestions, another font perhaps, an updated font?

TIA

Mark

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forums.

I haven't played around with the fonts too much. What I did was to go to Opt | Preferences and then click on "Notation". I then clicked on the button called "Jazz Fonts", as highlighted below.

Clicking on the above button set everything as shown in the image. (Please note that I changed the font sizes to 80% for all fonts.)

After doing the above, when I typed a lowercase "b" in the title box, it gave me exactly that. It looked suitable to use as a flat sign.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Hi Noel

I have tried what you suggest but I still can't get a flat sign to appear in the title.

I am on Windows 7 and BIAB 2011 (318).

With the settings you suggest with a lower case b I get a small B and using Alt+0132 I get ,,

Perhaps you have an updated font file?

Mark

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

With the settings you suggest with a lower case b I get a small B and using Alt+0132 I get ,,

That's just the way that font is, Mark. I believe Noel was looking in the Title Box (where he'd see the Lyric font) without realizing the printout uses a different one. PG TextJ fonts contain only small caps, and provide no minuscules. Their only possible flat symbol is in the Chord font, and that's unusable for titles.

You need a different Title font. Any typeface with lower-case letters will do. You could try that 'PG Text' for the Title as well as Lyric. Its 'b' is unusually similar to a real flat symbol.

M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Hi

That has been my experience too. I tried using other fonts in the title font ( as a substitute for the PG TextJ ) but I found it screwed up the text font for any text in the Style, Tempo, Copyright, Composer boxes, even though I changed none of the other font boxes!!!

Any idea why the flat symbol that is in the PG TextJ font at Alt+132 does not work and produces only ,,?

I can use it in all other documents and programs I just cannot get it to work in BIAB.

Mark

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mark,

I suggest you let support@pgmusic.com know about this. If you do, send the URL of this thread so that they can read the discussion and what people have discovered.

The fact that the correct character prints on-screen but does not print on a hard copy indicates a programming inconsistency.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Hi

That has been my experience too. I tried using other fonts in the title font ( as a substitute for the PG TextJ ) but I found it screwed up the text font for any text in the Style, Tempo, Copyright, Composer boxes...

Right. The others all switch bizarrely to Arial font if you insist on your own substitution. You get no choice, and it makes no sense. Users are uninterested and PG Music apparently don't see it as a problem, by the way. It really isn't a very great one.

Quote:

Any idea why the flat symbol that is in the PG TextJ font at Alt+132 does not work and produces only ,,?

Is it really there? Alt-132 yields an umlauted a in the font on this forum here: " ä ". Does it ever really give you an actual flat-symbol in some font? How have you decided that's what it should do? Not saying you're wrong -- I haven't the knowledge.

Larry
______
Journeyman
Journeyman
Mark: Alt-132 yields a rehearsal mark "Letter M" with the font PG TextJ in WordPad. (No idea what causes the double commas you see.)

I opened that font in Character Map next and could find no flat-symbol included in it at all, in any slot. It has a natural sign and a hash mark for sharps. No flat.

You can't coax a flat-sign out of that, unless I missed seeing one, as I hope I did.

Larry
______
Veteran
Veteran
Mark,

Something else that might be worth trying is to set the "Title Font" in Display options and set it to something else. Have a look at the image below.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Noel: Wow, that is pretty cool. So I set the song title area font to PG TextJ to see what would happen and yes if I type Alt+0132 I get the flat sign on the screen!!! But of course it makes no difference to the print out! :-(

allis: If you load PG TextJ font in Windows Character Map ( Under Accessories>System Tools ) it's Character Code: 0x84 or Alt+0132

My latest attempt has been to try Unicode 9837 ♭ but that also does not seem to work :-(

Mark

Journeyman
Journeyman
Well, it's got me beat. I'm lucky this matter doesn't come up much.

You can always apply to PGMusic support for advice. They do not respond automatically to threads here.

You can also adopt a Title font which has a lower case 'b' that isn't dead ugly when used as a flat sign. For rare use, that may be good enough.

Larry
______
Veteran
Veteran
Well if I was buying a sheet of music and it said:

Bflat Scale Exercise I would think that sufficient.

At my age I eschew becoming obsessed with things. In my programming days this would have been so simple. In a word Unix. In a second word pipes. Troff!

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,790
Posts749,370
Members38,889
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
bleaver, John247hour, salvaz, Jeff272, alexisguerrero
38,888 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 134