I had this brainwave (I did software desing at one time) which I have been developing in my mind for some time. I call it the 'Sentinal' I am going to post about it here because its relevent to BIAB and is useful to any DAW but i dont see it around, maybe PG could develop it and put it out as part of the package, what do others think of it? I am not going to get around to programming it, so I offer the idea to the public.

Scenario:
There are lots of times when one is playing something on a computer (using either an Audio input or some virtual instrument, and suddenly there is the Flash of inspiration and the fingers move in that 'in the zone way'. You might wish to merely just play it back, or you might wish to record it, but.... yuo did not have the record button on and had not loaded the correct application

The Sentinal sits in Ram, is loaded via the start up menu and records all Audio going OUT through the sound card in a loop. Likewise it records MIDI in a loop too.

The parameter of the length of the loop are set through a simple options menu, I would say an hour could be average.

So, with the Sentinal running no flash of inspiration would be lost and both the audio and MIDI would be constantly saved. This would be ideal for BIAB as (assuming you can load your instrument in BIAB - I won't go into this issue in this post) then you would always have every performance recorded both in MIDI and in Audio. If this application was independent of BIAB/PG then it could also be used with any sequencer etc - nothing lost here too.

There would have to be a bit of programming jiggery pokery with the way the audio and MIDI files are saved - some automatic saving/deleting, duplicating, behind the scenes, I worked this all out once its not that difficult. The user would simply have access at all times to the last hour (or whatever the parameter was set to of his/her playing in both MIDI and Audio. After a stipulated time the files would be erased therby leaving no clutter on the hard drive.

Sentinal is about recording all gthe stuff htat would otherwise be lost, it does not replace the record function of the main applications, its a ,fail safe device,.

I think this sort of thing would be very useful in the practice room along side the wonderful BIAB with Real Tracks.