Quote:

I had forgotten that the Real Drums CAN be user-created. I'll have to look into that.

Yeah, but why? If you record separate parts of a drum kit all you're doing is duplicating what is already there with Jamstix or EZDrums.

The whole point of Real Drums is one great drummer playing the whole kit. The files were recorded and mixed as one stereo track. I'm sure PG has the masters and they can probably get some separation but I've done a lot of live recording and I've used as many as 6 mic's on a drum kit in order to have control over the kick or hi hat for example but there's still lots of bleed through. If these RD's were recorded with a final stereo mix in mind then there probably is minimal separation and they would have to rerecord all the RD's in order to give you what you want. You can't completely isolate each part of kit on a recording no matter how many mics are used but partial isolation is still useful because if you need more kick and there's some hi hat or snare bleed through you can still boost the kick and eq some of that out on the kick track.

The other problem with creating separate RD drum tracks is they could only be used in Real Band but not Biab. Biab only allows one RD track in any song but RB of course can use many. You may be able to fool Biab into using two or three RD files by renaming them and moving them into the RT folder so they show up on the RT list. That way if you clicked on "strings" or "solo" for example and clicked "add Real Track" a RD could be there and then you have two or three RD's running, that one and the regular Drum track one. I've never tried that but if you wanted to give it a shot it might work.

This idea just sounds like a whole lot of work to me without achieving a major result. The whole idea of separate parts of a drum kit on it's own track is mostly a midi thing, not a full drum kit recorded live in one take as audio. You can get some individual control even with a mixed stereo file using eq. I've created a Real Drums preset in the 10 band eq and the results are pretty dramatic over the basic RD track and no it's not just a standard smiley face. I boost the lows, some mids and the 8K highs so it shows three peaks on the graph. Play with those sliders while the drum track is playing and you'll see what I mean.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.