If you got a message saying, "________ style not found", that means you do not have that particular style in your Band-in-a-Box collection. If you want, click "OK" then simply choose a style from your collection (it will probably default to the zzjazz style). When you are happy with the style you chose, click "save" and you will not be bothered by that dialog box again for that particular song.

Some versions of BiaB do not give you that message, but instead default to the zzjazz.sty if the assigned style is not found. To find which style was assigned to that song, open the song picker window.

Here is a detailed explanation of what I did and why I did it that way.

When I wrote my first fake disk, I used only the built-in styles that came with Band-in-a-Box Pro (the entry level Band-in-a-Box edition). I immediately got requests from many customers to choose the best style from all the styles available for Band-in-a-Box.

I asked them, "What if you don't have that particular style?"

They answered, "We will just substitute one of our own. We have nothing to lose and something to gain if you tell us which style you like best."

Here is how I did it.

When I compiled my fake disks, I asked experienced, professional musicians to assign the styles to the songs. I asked them choose (suggest) the best style for the song from all the PG and Norton music styles available. I also asked them not to play favorites to either my styles or PG Music's.

When they were done, Leilani and I sat down, listened to all the songs, triple checked for any errors, made adjustments to chords that we thought didn't sound right due to the limitations of Band-in-a-Box, and in rare cases overruled the style choice of the person who assigned the styles for the disk.

Some songs have been done in so many ways over the years, that many different styles fit equally well. In those cases, only one style had to be picked. You might find others that work better for your taste in music.

Since the styles were chosen from the available styles at the time we compiled the disk, a more appropriate style may have been written since then -- also, you may not agree with our choice. In either case, you can simply change the style.

If the style that you are missing starts with the # symbol (like #kc_shuf.sty, #70Disc0.sty, #boogie6.sty, #ltnpop2.sty, etc.), it is one of mine. You can audition them on this page:
http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html

You can listen to the demo, hear how the style is supposed to sound, and pick a similar style from your Band-in-a-Box collection. And if you like them, you can purchase the disk(s) or the individual style(s). The Demo files are in Real Audio and/or MP3 format. They are in a low fidelity format for quick playing in your Internet browser. Not one note was changed after exporting these files from BiaB, so "What You Hear Is What You Get."

There are no styles included in my fake disks. You can use either MIDI or RealTrack styles with my fake disks.

I hope this answers your questions Pat and David.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks