Quote:

Yes "inserts" certainly can be used as direct sends when half jacked. The big difference is that the send point of inserts is after the pre amp & and low cut filter and before the EQ. With Direct sends the send point is Post fader. It utilizes all of the features of the channel. My console allowed the Directs to be either pre or post fader.
Also don't forget if you are going to send from a console to 16 channels of a sound card and want to return those 16 channels back to the mixer you'll need to have at least a 32 channel mixer or do a lot of plugging & unplugging.

Well, since this is all new ground to me, I will be experimenting a lot. I rarely pass 8 channels, and when I do there is a lot of plugging and unplugging to do, but this is why I bought two of them. The grand scheme was that I send with one and return from the other. We'll knwo how it goes by next weekend, but I think it will work out as I have seen it work that way before. I also have patch panels that I can use to make the replugging easier.

Now the newbie comes out as I ask about "half jacked". Is that nithing more than plugging a mono 1/4 plug into the stereo insert jack?

(I DO know enough to know that the male is a plug and the female is a jack, though nature says the female should be a jill.... )

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.