Eddie,
Quote:

When I get the 2012, do I not get a new license, so if I was to give to 2011 away the license for the 2011 would transfer to the new owner?

That's something you need to ask PG Music.

Whenever I install anything PG Music on my system, the "license" for that installation is something that I select "I agree" to before any installation can occur. To my way of thinking, that means that the license is applying uniquely to what I am currently installing and the terms under which I purchased the item I'm currently installing.

I'll try and explain what I mean.

In the PG Music license, it mentions "the program". I've only ever bought one full version of BIAB; all the rest of my purchases have been upgrades or updates. It's important to appreciate that when I've purchased the USB drive upgrade, even though it might have been a fully operational version of the program, I purchased it at a special price that was very clearly labeled as an "upgrade": for example from (say) 2010 to 2010.5. To my mind, this means that "the program" mentioned in PG Music's license is the first version that I bought because "upgrades", by the very definition of the term itself, can only ever be applied to a previously existing version of a program.

If, by comparison, I'd bought a full version of (say) BIAB 2010 and then chose to buy a completely separate full version of BIAB 2012 and not go for the special price labelled "upgrade previous versions of BIAB to 2012", then I'd have two independent and individual full versions. It's important to note that the cost of buying two full versions would be significantly greater than the cost of one full version plus the cost to upgrade it.

You probably read recently on this forum where Pat Marr discussed purchasing a copy of BIAB/RB for his son as a Christmas present. Since Pat's second purchase was for a full version of the program and was not in any way linked to the fact that Pat already had a version of the program, then Pat had two independent versions of BIAB after purchasing his son's present. By giving the second version of the program to his son, he then transferred ownership of that version and its license to his son. This transfer of ownership is in keeping with the terms of the PG Music license.

Please keep in mind that I'm not a lawyer. That's why I said at the outset it's necessary to ask PG Music. When one thinks about Pat's above situation, though, and compares it to the situation of buying at special prices and "upgrading" current versions, I think it's easy to appreciate what PG Music mean by the terms "the program" and "the license".

That's how I see it, anyway

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024