Correct me if I've missed your point...

I've had an on-going informal discussion with several audio enthusiasts over the last few years as to what comprises audiophile quality sound, and what equipment is necessary to create it.

Some emphasize the use of condenser mics, tube mic pre-amps, high-end A/D D/A converters, 96 Khz - 24 bit digital audio files, tube pre-amps and power amps, and expensive loudspeaker arrangements coupled with acoustically treated listening environments. Many of these folk also claim that analog audio from a good turntable or reel-to-reel tape machine produces a listening experience superior to any digitally reproduced audio.

Others claim that inexpensive (but carefully chosen and deployed) components are equally capable of producing a top-notch audio experience, and that digital audio can be as satisfying as its analog counterpart.

Personally, I feel that digital audio processing in a reasonably capable home computer shows great promise. Your experiment comparing the high-tech USB input to the basic Realtech soundcard input is a case in point. Why go overboard with fancy hardware when the same effect can be achieved by selecting the software tools that compliment quality audio, and then learning how to use them to the full extent of their potential?

just looking for clues...
Oren.
http://www.masteringmatters.com