Quote:

Perhaps it's time to re-think where the budget is spent?

Early on, when I was learning the basics of digital audio - largely from the folks here on the PG Music forums - it became apparent that some enthusiasts were deploying a staggering array of pricey computer hardware and software, only to come up with some decidedly second rate audio. On the other end of the scale, a few stalwart individuals proved capable of producing spectacular sound with spartan equipment and a few basic programs.

Retailers, manufacturers, and their promotion experts have done a very capable job of muddying the waters, to the point where I've heard otherwise intelligent computer audio enthusiasts actually quoting the drivel concocted by some advertising copywriter as if it were a well established fact.

To my mind, if I want to conduct myself responsibly as an experienced computer music buff, it seems that my first item of business would be to sort the hype from the real deal, and help others equip themselves most advantageously with skills, audio software, and computer hardware that get the job done without unnecessary bells and whistles. The original purpose of this thread was to sort through a few possible misconceptions regarding computer music production, and I say "it's high time for some plain talk" on this subject.

just looking for clues...
Oren.
http://www.masteringmatters.com