I agree with that too Rob. A similar discussion was going on a few years ago. Someone posted a link to a site where a pro recording engineer did a whole band with just SM57's specifically to shoot down the theory that you have to use expensive mic's. It sounded pretty good, not great but still pretty good, a lot of folks would be happy to get a sound like that. The guy was good, knew how to mix. I have a bag full of mic's including some 57's. Never leave home without them, they're great all around workhorse mic's, I use them mostly for live drums but they do have a distinctive rolloff sound no matter how you post process them. Yeah I know, give me the blindfold test and maybe I couldn't tell which track recorded by the same band was recorded with the 57's and which one with the better mic's but I'm pretty sure I could.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.