John,

Thanks so much! I like the more natural sound of this RealDrum too. I have been using a little different method on my RD's lately. I use 3 tracks - one with eq and compression to fit the mix (and sometimes another plugin or 2 as needed, such as Waves Transx to add some more punch), a second track with some reverb tails on it, usually set back in the mix to make it subtle (been doing this all along), but the 3rd track is flat with no eq, and moved "to the right" a few milliseconds, to fatten up the sound - then bring the 3rd track up very subtly in the mix, just enough to add body. Seems to bring the kick alive in the mix a little more, without making it "louder"

As to the horns, some of the horns are loops (from Logic), but I doubled the loop parts with some midi brass sounds (Logic), playing note for note what the loop was playing, but an octave lower to add depth. Then I added several more various brass parts, (all midi VSTi from Logic again). Then stir in some reverbs and delays, and simmer till ready!

Thanks again!

MountainSide,

Thanks again! I "layer" my background vocals - I record each part usually 3 times (on 3 separate tracks), then "space" them out (panning) to fill up the mix. Makes the vocals sound fuller, not louder. It's not unusual for me to have 12-18 tracks of just background vocals. (Sounds much more tedious than it is. I usually do most all my background vocals in one take, each, as long as I pronounce all the words right. )

George,

lol! I didn't take it as negative. I appreciate your input! Thanks once again!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann