Who cares what your so called "pro" friends think, Sam? Pro what? Working in a coffee house for tips or making fifty bucks or even two hundred on a Friday night in some bar or club? That's a career? No, it's not. Most of us here have full time jobs or are full time retired. If we gig, it's part time for fun. When you're only playing for fun and a bit of extra spending cash, you can afford to be picky and make statements like karaoke is crap but if you're actually trying to make a living, trying to keep yourself out of the gutter playing music then it's called whatever works, baby.

My sister is a killer karaoke singer. She competed first in local clubs and won quite a few hundred dollar first places and then competed in a big regional karaoke contest a few years ago. She made it to eighth place out of about a hundred or so. We all went to see the show and it was a real show in a hotel ballroom. About 5-600 people I think. Full stage with lights and a big sound system with a sound engineer. Each act had their own set decorations on the stage. Nothing amateurish about it. The top three winners were really good performers, they could front a lot of bands. Good singers and dancers, everybody had full costumes and some even had backup dancers doing routines.

I've sat in a few bars and watched karaoke singers, most are bad, a few are pretty good. The bad ones are so bad it's funny and some of those know they're bad and don't care if everyone laughs at them so that makes it even funnier. The good ones are ok to listen to so it's not a bad thing imo. All that matters is there's an audience who's having a good time and in spite of my wishing for more live band venues, that's a good thing.

You need this my friend, I think it's great for you.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 05/21/12 06:38 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.