AMD triple core (2.3gHz) 4 gig RAM, M-Audio ASIO drivers, 18 audio tracks, 4 MIDI tracks, hit record on an audio track and processor goes to 47% or so ...
Doesn't seem too excessive to me.
I think it's more of a 'what else is running on that machine' issue as far as processing power. And 'how the machine is set up'. Laptops are often at a disadvantage to begin with because of having only one drive to access for both reading and writing. That's why I still prefer desktop for recording.

My old machine was AMD 2.1 single core with 2 gig RAM and ran about the same number of tracks using ASIO at about 80% processor use.
There are a lot of factors on a machine that can affect ASIO performance. Good drivers is the first one, but there are many others if you think about how ASIO works.

One other thing about ASIO4All; since many here are starting to use USB devices, read the FAQ at ASIO4All site on how to set it up. If you are going to use ASIO4All on USB do not install any ASIO drivers. Let ASIO4All work through through the native windows USB drivers. And don't check the DMA enable box.
Like I said, setting it up is often more the issue than the system.

Last edited by rharv; 05/26/12 05:56 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome