ROG, there's a whole community of folks being raised on the idea of folder tracks and a smaller community being raised without needing a 'mixer' view whatsoever.

Honestly, do you truly need to see 48 tracks at once? You have 10 fingers to move sliders, so if you have a 10 slider control surface, do you need more to take action? It's not like you have all hands on deck with multiple engineers hand-fading/mixing a project like at a pro studio.

In the DAW I use, if I get more than 10 or 12 tracks, I start asking myself what I'm trying to accomplish - usually it's multiple takes for what will end up as one part or a comp'ed part, and I will folder track those into a single group if I'm not actively mixing them, or just get the comp editing over with and hide the source tracks - in my DAW, I can shrink them down to a fairly thin line.

Or perhaps I'll have a few tracks for a double-tracked electric guitar rhythm part or vocal - with those, I will folder track them - so that they only take up one space, or I'll render them through to audio and stack them on top of each other - with the DAW I use, I can set volume and pan and other automation on the 'clip' which is the terminology used to describe a distinct piece of audio file or midi part. On this song, all of the BGV's were recorded and mixed as individual tracks, then when I was happy with them, I rendered each individual BGV to it's own audio, then I dropped them on top of each other, and set their individual pan and volume for the clips. As a result, it took up about 1 cm on the screen. http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/new...ute%20cover.mp3

Maybe I'm missing as to what would be necessary to look at so many tracks at once, other than to dazzle?

-Scott