Quote:

<...> I can write my own styles simply by recording or importing a one or two bar midi clip. That's what you're after I think but Biab just doesn't work that way.

Bob

No BiaB doesn't work that way.

Personally I like the fact that the output of BiaB is different every time. It keeps the predictability down. Plus most arranger keyboards have from 2 to 8 bars (depending on the make/model) that repeat over and over and over and over and over and over again, BiaB can have a few hundred different patterns, with masks to make them appear in musical appropriate situations (depending on the way the style is written). And you can assign different patterns for the same musical situation and assign probability numbers to them so a style with a huge "personality" only appears once in a great while and the more generic patterns appear more frequently.

I've done some "contract" style writing for another auto-accompaniment program and a couple of auto-arranger keyboards, as well as styles for BiaB, and BiaB definitely has the most intelligent style writing tools and is able to produce the most musical output. In other words, it's by far the best auto-accompaniment tool I've seen. It does have it's limitations, but it's heads and shoulders above the rest.

Brand new 2012.5 updates from Norton Music:
  • 2 new style disks for Band-in-a-Box
  • 2 new free (with a purchase) fancy intro/ending disks for Real Band and other DAW's
  • The Ultimate Gospel Fake Disk
  • The Real Rock Fake Disk (plenty of classic rock in this one)
  • The Beatles Fake Disk
  • And an updated Christmas Fake Disk

Hundreds of Free .sgu and .mp3 demos for the above at: http://www.nortonmusic.com