Dear Ms. Sundance...

That was one of the most useful "advice" about songwriting presentations I've seen. Mr. Cupit is down-to-earth and relaxed, not hyped-up and talking a mile-a-minute, for one thing. Also, most of his advice concerns literary values that a good writer upholds: avoiding repetition, maintaining a conversational voice, and eliminating words that don't "move the song forward". He could be an English instructor.

I write "jazz" songs mostly, but, as you said, Mr. Cupit's advice is useful across all genres because his focus on how to improve our songs emphasizes strongly the literary standards that help to refine and enhance the way we communicate with each other.

In another way, the video was a "wake-up" call, too. I would not have sought out an opinion about writing jazz songs from a country/western songwriter, but now I think I can safely say that genre isn't necessarily an obstacle to sharing ideas.

Thank you for posting the video. Sincerely,

bluage

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".