Quote:

As to Scott's example, it comes down to this. Do you want to be Andy Williams singing Moon River or Henry Mancini writing it? I would rather write a song once and make money every time Andy sings is than Andy having to sing it 250 nights in 250 cities every year. It hasn't happened for me, and won't if it hasn't by now.

I prefer to write/record/perform my own music. I've recorded exactly two cover tunes that were not public domain in the entire time that I've been doing home recording. When I play at church - my only regular 'gig' - I'm doing essentially covers with the intention to gather the congregation into a unified act of praise and/or worship. Playing it how they are used to hearing it has it's purpose there that is different than in other venues, but playing it familiar is still important.

In several threads you've been raising the issue that you can't make a living as a performing musician because you have to play 'that list' of songs to do so - at least that was the gist that I read in your threads. Here in these last few pages, it seems to have turned the tide to wanting to do originals.

When I post on music forums, it's my own stuff 99.9% of the time. The one time I did a semi-popular cover was for Beck's "The Golden Age" for a song contest over at the KVRaudio forums. I tried to copy the vibe as best possible. I picked that song because of it's production elements that I didn't know how to do before I started. Those contests were limited to 2 minute entries at the time. My 2 minute version: http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/new...ute%20cover.mp3

Beck's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zAT15vaFk

I shortened the intro to just a single time through the progression so that I could get at least the intro a verse and a chorus in under 2 minutes. I still have tweaks that I would do to get it to sound more like his version. But I learned how to do BGVs, double tracking of acoustic guitars, etc. by trying to copy. I happened to win the contest that month out of about 50 entries. I got some cool music software as the prize. People first accused me of just submitting Beck's version until someone posted a snippet of the actual song and heard that I was swinging the acoustic rhythm and vocal quality was different, etc.

But most of the time, I write and compose and arrange my own stuff. I will do the occasional Christmas tune as my online Christmas card to family friends and whomever else will listen.

Eddie, if you lived out here in the Springs I would take you to the songwriters circle that I belong to out here. You would totally dig it.

-Scott