I have seen people read from the old, illegal Real Book for decades. I've also seen people who have stated that everything must be memorized.

Each extreme has its faults.

Generally I'd rather play with the people who keep the book on stage but don't have their eyes glued to it. They generally seem to have a better attitude and at least they are all playing the same changes.

I have no use for the angry musician on stage. It's called "playing" music for a reason. And you don't have to be angry to play jazz. Charlie Parker was very kind to his fellow musicians and he was one of the all-time greatest alto sax players. When I was very young, our rock and roll band played on a telethon right before the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Paul Desmond was very complimentary about my sax playing and very encouraging. Of course he was being very kind as I was 18 years old, playing rock and roll, and in the infancy of my my musical knowledge.

Of course you want to prepare yourself for the gig, you want to practice and be the best you can be, but when it comes time to performing for the public, if you can't have fun, I don't want to be on stage with you.

So back on topic. Any set of changes that the entire band agrees on are the right changes for them. Pick one and go with them. If you are jamming with two bands using two different books/changes, consider it a challenge and variety. And if it isn't fun, do something else.

That's my take on it anyway, YMMV.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks