Quote:

Scott,

I need to study music that I don't know well. Up until recently if my choice was country or nothing, silence would win out every time. ... All these guys that look like a thumb with a cowboy hat, all these girls with all the blond hair.... they all look and sound the same to me.

BUT....

It's the hottest genre out there right now, and if I am truly going to continue my pursuit of the bucket list item of having a song played on the radio and performed by someone real, it will likely be a country song.

So, call it research.

I see nothing wrong with approaching music as a "business" and if your goal is to get a record on the radio, then country might be your best chance. All other genres are pretty much closed shops. Alternative and most rock is artist written, Pop and rap are artist/producer written, etc... Guess what, though -- country is going the same way. Insiders (writers and co-writers) are writing all their own tunes.

How did these folks that were once outsiders become insiders, you ask? They probably grew up together or met each other in nashville (or wherever) as they were struggling to get started or they were introduced by publisher/record labels to each other. So they formed this little circle that got bigger. That is why you see certain artists doing their "friend's" songs (the same names keep popping up). Your best shot is to find local artists at open mics, writer's night, songwriting groups and start writing with them now. Yea, still a hit or miss prospect -- but what other choice do you have?

*** Country music is lyric/story driven -- even with the onslaught of the "party/rock" anthems.
*** Country music is becoming more "urban" -- don't write about cowboy hats, boots, mud on your truck tire flaps or "daisy dukes" unless that is the life you are leading (or your co-writer is leading that life). The themes of love and loss, highs and lows and everyday life are still open for the taking.
*** It is not "who you know", but "who knows you and how do they know you".
*** There are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of country writers. You had better be prepared to support others if you expect them to support you. It's a long hard slog.
*** Country music is still only about 11% of the total sales in the US: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20...Industry-Report -- Pop, R&B/Hip-hop, and Rock control over 20% of the sales each.

If you really want to do this, I can give you the name of a mentor in nashville that can guide you through your "education". He ain't free, but he is really cheap (considering what he does for you). He will also hook you up with co-writers when you are ready. If you go this route, be prepared to be shot down a lot and be ready to change your whole style of writing. You will probably have to take 2 or 3 trips to Nashville to meet enough folks so they know who you are.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud