Please understand my comments weren't against approaching music as a business.

There are decisions and choices to be made all up and down the line. I was trying to rationalize the thumb in hats and beautiful blonde comments with the idea of a bucket list item.

I think that TAXI kind of route is likely a must-do attempt to accomplish the 'hit' song requirement. Some type of representation and 'people' working for you, just a little bit, is likely necessary to break through.

Either that, or a very savvy social media capability. I've talked here about Tyler Ward - who now has international fame and fortune - which really started with him doing better Taylor Swift covers than Nashville was able to do with Taylor Swift herself. Tyler did them out of his basement studio here in CO. He put these up on YouTube, paid appropriate attention to licensing/royalties and what not, and now he has over a million YouTube subscribers, with over 300 million views on YouTube. Yes, 300 million views. I know Tyler pretty well from right before he started to take off on YouTube. When I would see him regularly, it was when he had perhaps 5,000 subscribers to his YouTube channel - pretty much local here in CO.

Tyler knows how to really connect with the on-line audience, globally, via social media. He has also done a great job pulling other people along in his rather rapid rise to this certain kind of fame. He's also really good at DIY music/video - again, his covers of pop songs are arguably better than what the big studios cranked out. He has been able to pretty much control his destiny - still not signed, but not for want of record companies pounding down his door. He's in control of his own gig. Record contracts are a bit irrelevant in his situation. So, social media is another way to fame, that is less dependent on the Nashville, NY or LA machine.

Or just plain dumb luck.