Being UK based. I now use National Health Service Hearing AIds which are fitted behind both ears. The analysis, fitting and batteries were free. Previously for ten years, I purchased hearing aids from commercial companies which were quite expensive but the move of a number of large organisations such as Spectacle providers, Chemist chains etc, into the market place, has kept prices steady. A matched pair, in the medium range, now costs some £800. The costs increases by the number of programs incorporated - usually unused.

The NHS provide behind the ear aids and not those inserted inside the ear. It seems that their research found the "mean time between failure" caused by ear wax and/or condensation, was much longer for the BTE models. My aids are supplied by Siemens and my overall experience indicates that the NHS research is correct. If I lose an aid, then the replacement cost is £80. Compare this against my sister's recent experience where she was quoted £1400 for a pair of in the ear models.