a lot of these objections are because of people using backing tracks to escape the necessity of playing an instrument. But some musicians use tracks so they can have freedom to play MORE instruments.

I met yesterday with a very accomplished local musician. He's tired of working with undependable band mates. He's tired of having to be the only solo and rhythm instrument in a 3 man band, so that every song starts to sound the same, and the bottom drops out when he plays a solo. He plays several other instruments, but there is no way for him to showcase his other talents, and it's making him feel trapped.

He has finally come to the conclusion that the only thing that will liberate him musically and let him book gigs where he can play a variety of instruments without the bottom dropping out of the song is by using backing tracks. That way he doesn't have to find a band that is talented enough to play in multiple genres but won't cut a trail as soon as a better gig comes up.

The bane of the musician's life is spending months preparing a tight, great sounding set, only to have one of the band members quit. That problem alone is enough to point me in the direction of backing tracks. After all that preparation, I want the receive the payoff, not a big disappointment