Quote:

I am also an AFofM member, since 1973. If it weren't for grant funding, I could not make a profit playing music in my region. This is a reasonably affluent area north of New York City, and yet clubs and restaurants pay the same for music that they did in the 1970s .

...they pay such rates, in my opinion, BECAUSE THEY CAN - the supply and demand is such that the going rate has stayed the same. Keep in mind that many companies give 'product' away cheaply or for free, which really needs to be called "advertising". In fact, when someone plays for 'free', they really are getting something in return that is of value as equal to them as that cash is to the person relying on music 'for a living'. That's why they're doing it.

What also comes into play is people that do music for fun or as a hobby really want an audience, and can afford to play for free for the pure pleasure of playing in front of an audience. And the market is such that many audiences are just as happy hearing a 'skilled hobbyist' (these guys are sometimes as good as the 'full time professionals' - especially to the untrained ear).

Lastly - it's human nature to get items as cheaply as you can (within the law, that is, though some people have their own 'laws' which are different than those on the books). Every day you buy a closeout item for less than it cost the manufacturer to make - you are taking advantage of their mistake in estimating 'demand'. The result of their effort to minimize their loss results in a good deal for consumers, and stiffer competition for their competitors. And let's not forget that offering product at the best price you can get from your buyers is the CAPITALIST WAY.

What's your perspective on the business owners (e.g. restaurant or bar owners) position ? I would think they feel every time they can minimize an expense to offer a superior product - like offering dinner AND pleasant music instead of just dinner, they're offering something to stand out from their competition. Why not get musicians that will work as cheaply as possible based on the supply ? They may be in the process of having taken out loans to open the business, and really looking to play every angle they can to make the best of their success (does anyone know how competitive the restaurant business is, and the associated failure rate - I'm pretty sure it's very high).

Last edited by Joe V; 01/13/13 03:18 PM.