Pat,

Thanks for the kind words. I would like to address this statement:

Quote:

I understand that purists like you will tend to look down on people like me who pursue music as a business rather than as an art.

There’s nothing wrong with approaching music as a business and making decisions to improve your chances of being successful. Learning the skills required to do all the things you’ve mentioned takes not only musical talent but technical expertise and drive. I admire and respect that. It’s an absolute necessity for musicians who are trying to make a living with music by playing local venues.

I hope you’re successful at doing just that.

As far as being a “purist”, I’ve never really thought of myself as that but I definitely lean in that direction. Even though I listen to and like a wide variety of music, I’m still drawn to actual instruments in the traditional sense.

Wood and strings, … brass and wind. Electricity for amplification and lighting. LOL.

Synthesized and quantized music, … not so much. But that’s just my personal preferences and even I make exceptions and listen to it occasionally.

I am encouraged by the depth of talent that I’ve seen on the acoustic scene from young people like Sierra Hull, Sarah Jarosz, Chris Thile, etc. It confirms to me that what I light heartedly call “real music” is alive and well in the hands of a few young musicians.