Quote:

If joined the Welders Union it wouldn't make me a welder.

Yes it would Bob but not immediately. You first join a union as an apprentice, go to all the union schools, accumulate so many hours of ojt, THEN after several years of this you're a journeyman welder.

The point is that kid doing the scratching is very talented with good ears and good rhythm. You could think of it like a Talking Drum like the tympani player who hits it and then grabs the tuning handle so the drum gives you that long Booooooiiiiinnnngggg rising sound you hear occasionally. Is that orchestra percussionist a musician? S/he certainly is.

That sort of thing is why I keep gravitating towards Abelton Live. Trying to get past all the warbling screeching stuff in order to figure out what that program can do is certainly difficult for me but still that program is pretty cool. Same thing with loopers that someone mentioned. I've watched some videos of champion loopers, (yes grandpa, they have very large regional and national looping contests, where have you been?)and I really like the concept of that. The reason is an audience can tell you're not simply playing to tracks, you're creating the whole thing live, from nothing, right in front of them. That's the definition of a good show and I think it's great. It's just that what they're looping is not my thing but still it's a good show. I'm pretty sure with the right software I could create all the different backing tracks for a song like Green Dolphin Street or something live, on stage, and when I'm done and it's all smoking along then play the head and solo my butt off. I think that would go over pretty good because then the audience can see exactly what I'm putting into it. Will I ever actually do that in some club? Probably not but I may just set that up at home and if I do I'll have a friend come over and video it and I'll put it up on Youtube. Just for fun.

Anyway, these kids have plenty of talent, just as much as our generation does, it's just in a different direction and it's very hard for us to grasp it. You really have to get out more, not physically but on the internet, do some serious Youtube surfing, you'll find some very interesting stuff but yeah, you get to wade through a lot of crap too.

Damn, I sound like I'm preaching again, sorry about that. It's just that for me at least I cannot sit in my own insular little musical world and vegetate over the past. I'm sort of like Miles Davis when he suddenly quit his classic straight ahead jazz stuff and came out with Bitches Brew and did a complete 180 into some pretty far out stuff. He was asked many times to go back to his classic style at least for one tour but he basically said no, he's said all he can say in that genre and it's time to move on. You do that and you wind up being your own cover band. Not that that's a bad thing monetarily mind you but it certainly is artistically.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.