Last night I went gig-hopping, checking out the local live music scene. One restaurant had a two man act (no trax). They both played acoustic guitar, both played the same chords with capo on the same fret

(they didn't even go for the variation they could have had by playing the same chords in different positions! )

The thought occurred to me that the business owner could have saved money without sacrificing quality if he had only hired one of them and made him play beside a mirror.

As usual... with two acoustic guitars and no other tricks up their sleeve, three songs into the set I'd heard everything they were going to do.

The next club had a funk band, and they were really tight, with a lot of original songs having complex passages where they all played long sequential harmonies in perfect but weird timing. But the couple I was with turned to me and said the same thing I was thinking: "If only they had horns!"

Based on the number of people present and the cover charge I paid to get in, I doubt they collected enough to pay the 4 piece, let alone a 7 piece with horns. So here's a case when I would have loved some tracks in the background.