I have been following this thread a bit and can maybe add something..

I only started playing about 5 years ago and first bought a Chateau Tenor (made by Tenon Industrial in Taiwan.) I realised after one week that the plastic mouthpiece is a key problem and bought a bakelite Yamaha one, (still using it today...).

(I crave a metal one but its quite pricey over here)

The comment about the reed is also important, The guy who coached me gave me a 2 1/2 but it was proving to be too hard for me, I quickly moved to a 1 1/2. That made the world of difference for me as a beginner.

After about 18 months I outgrew the Chateau as I found that I had to put more pressure on for the valves to seal properly. You then start working to battle the machine instead of making music (same as a bad guitar, had one of those at one time as well!)

I started looking around for better quality but still affordable and bought a Yanagisawa
(made in Japan) in the end (a from myself to myself 50th birthday present). (6 times the price of the Chateu though) A beautiful instrument, good value for money. It seals with very light fingers and is a dream to play.

I watch the reed and replace it as soon as I detect it failing ...(if you buy a box the unit price really comes down a lot)

Here in South Africa the Selmers are just too pricey given the duties, import taxes the government adds.

Just my story .....

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax