Originally Posted By: Mac
A lot of Step-Entry MIDI files suffer from the same lack of proper settings saved with the files.

It may have something to do with people who can create MIDI files by ear or by rote, yet don't care to take the time to understand music notation, terminology, etc.

I suspect that a good many of them cannot read the notation part of the programs.

Therefore, if the playback sounds okay to them, the goal has been achieved.

But those kind of free MIDI files do exist, John, and there's plenty of examples of them for download.

Over the years here, I've helped out quite a few users via PM and even telephone calls to sort out this problem, so I'm not talking out of conjecture here, but from hard learned empirical evidence. Sometimes I have had to resort to getting the user experiencing these kinds of problems to email me the offending MIDI file and I'm able to change things such that it plays - and looks - okay by doing things such as I mentioned above. Other times, I've encountered files that just could not be fixed easily, those were often due to files where the song target has Tempo changes, Rubato elements, offtime sections, etc. that do mimic the target song recording, but without the original MIDIOT who created the file knowing what to do to make that happen correctly in the sequence, well.

--Mac

Yea it's meaningful discussion.
One good way to sort out these free form midi files is to first render them to a stereo wav file.Then run it through the ACW to create a tempo map. Then re-import the midi. Then delete the audio.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php