Quote:

Luvs3rds, Based on the sound posted, I have no idea what kind of guitar that the player had that you posted.

I went to Dale's site. In every picture he is holding an Ovation acoustic steel string without electronics, so he is either micing it or using a soundhole pickup.

Quote:

. . . there are many others out there. Beware of Martin and Taylor. You will pay a premium for those names; perhaps 15-25% [more] than a similarly equipped Larrivee or Seagull, or (fill in the blank). They have well-earned name recognition that commands a price. I love both Martins and Taylors, for different reasons, but I think they are overpriced these days.

-Scott

Alvarez-Yairi is essentially a custom-shop Alvarez and still represents a tremendous bargain. I bought mine from Dean Markley himself when he had a small shop in Santa Clara, CA, saying that I wanted the guitar that was going to last me the rest of my life. He put it in my hands in 1972 and I still have it.

Takamines are still a tremendous value and use that palathetic pickup they first put into the mass production marketplace and which, if you aren't installing a Baggs, is the way to go. (I traded an acoustic Takamine 12-string for my first PC and am still wondering about that deal. I got my money's worth, but that thing played perfectly right off the music-shop peg . . .) There are many great values in the $500-$1000 range, but again, if yours are properly set u they may be all you need, at least for playing live.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."