Hi Tom,

That's very strange behaviour with the forum, I have never lost a post by pressing preview (and I use it a great deal). Even now I sometimes find it confusing that the preview appears below the text window!

Anyway ... I appreciate your confusion. Because use of the names, "Soloist" is confusing. The names were relevant when BIAB was midi-based auto-accompaniment software. With the passage of time, and the introduction of Realtracks, it's less easy to see what the two things are, now.

Firstly, "Soloist" on the mixer.

This relates to a track. Just like BIAB has Bass, Drum, Piano, Guitar, String tracks it also has a track for melody and a track for solos: these tracks are called "Melody" and "Soloist". I personally think of each of these seven tracks as a 'slot' to house various instruments and note patterns.

Although it's possible to generate Realtrack instruments in the Melody and Soloist tracks, they were primarily used with BIAB as a track to house a midi melody or a midi soloist. The midi information on these tracks is saved when a song is saved.

Secondly, the "Soloist" button.

The lower of the two options, "Open Soloist Dialog", allows you to choose between either midi solos or Realtrack solos. Any solos selected in this window will be added to the "Soloist" track for playing (hence the common name).

If you choose to have a midi solo, then there are many styles that you can have the solo generated in. This is an advanced feature of BIAB.

If you go to the following link and scroll down the page, you'll find a video on using the Soloist (midi solo generator) and Melodist (midi melody generator). I suggest you use the wmv video.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

Even though the above videos were made using an older version of BIAB, the techniques are still identical in the current version.

Hope this helps,

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024