Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"Not saying that the lamp cord won't work, but it actually may be less than ideal in certain circumstances, especially 'long runs' to high power speaker systems."

Our longest speaker cables are 100'/ #12 ProCo's with Neutriks. No way I'm running lamp cord with my little rig! shocked

We also have 25's and 50's, all ProCo. Not cheap, but we've never had one fail.

Regards,

Bob

Keep in mind this was LOOOONGGGG before Neutrik twist-lock style connectors were de rigeur on speakers. I'm talking Peavey floor wedge monitors with cloth grilles and the silver dust cones and plywood cases, and Bose 801s for mains, on tripods that weighed probably 50 lbs. each, etc. This choir was a non-profit and ran on a VERY thin budget. Heavy duty lamp cord had/has a whole bunch of copper in it from a cross-section/gauge standpoint and took teenage abuse pretty well.

I love Neutrik twist-lock for both speaker and mains supply cable connectors, but such a thing did not exist in the US in the 70's which is when we likely sourced those Peavey's floor wedges.

I'd like it for guitar and instrument cables as well to eliminate pop from bridging tip/sleeve on insert/removal, as that's one big benefit of those connectors - they do immediate connect/disconnect of both sides of the signal without shorting across T/S. Planet Waves sells a 'switched' cable that does the same: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWCBGtr20A/