Just build a car designed to last 8 to 10 years without needing to buy new wipers after 3 months, tires after 8 months, stuff that works. No need to make 12 models, this one has 2 pieces of chrome, this one 4, this one has a roof hole, that one has a locking gas cap cover. Don't change the model for 3 years, just improve on what you had.

What was the make of that taxi cab that was prevalent in the 50's? Was it called a Universal? They made the thing to last forever, using the best transmission, chassis, etc.

I've had 3 vehicles over the last 30 years. An olds 88 I drove into the ground and sold to my neighbour for $1000 and he was an auto engineer, fixed it in the driveway and sold it for $3000 (It was the same as the cadillac at the time.) Then a Dodge van, now a Ford Van. The Ford is the 2000 model, and I've changed the transmission and engine. The engine change cost me $1200. But I bought all them with cash. So the $1200 spent 5 months ago to change the engine seems ok because for the year I'll spend $100 bucks a month in theory and the engine that went in had 80,000 kms less on it than mine did. As soon as the kids are gone, and I sell the 5 bedroom house (which is within a year), I will buy the last car. Heaven knows with how much less I drive, it should last me quite some time, except for the salt eating it every winter.

Without the teams of people changing 12 models of every car every year, retooling the plants, and having a dealer on every corner, it would reduce costs to have a car that didn't change much, and who cares if it looks like we are all going down the road on the same car.

Maybe the next one I'll take to the Punjabi temple and let them 'bless' it with oil and flowers and stuff. I just have to ask what day it's ok to buy, they have very strict rules on what days you can purchase products with metal or some such thing. LOL

John Conley
Musica est vita