Charlie,

You may already know this... if you right click a part marker, it will show you various options for the drums.
So you can select the Stick version there.
If you do that on an A part marker, all following A part markers will also play that Stick.
So if you want the A sections to change to Snare later on, select the A part marker where you want that to start
and chose the Snare version there. For the Snare version you will have an option for Hi-Hat, Open Hi-Hat or Ride...

I switched to Presonus Studio One 2 recently myself. (Turns out a guy in "upper management" is a neighbor of mine).
It has tremendous plugins. It has taken a while to learn and get used to (I, too, have spent hours watching videos).
I am really liking it. (I used Sony Acid Pro before switching).
Like you, I came from a hard-disk recorder (Roland VS-880). I still use mine to record vocals.
I'll explain that - you may or may not want to try it...

Once I get the chords in BIAB and have a basic instrument group (drums, bass, a guitar or 2, maybe piano),
I export those out to the DAW and do a quick mix - enough to do a vocal to.
I transfer that rough mix to my VS-880. I do my vocals there.
I like the touch and feel that the hard-disk recorder provides - the buttons - all right there.
Record. Stop. Rewind or Return. Play. No mouse...
I think it makes it a lot easier to record vocals. And do punch ins...
I'll record 3 or 4 tracks. Then I transfer those back to the DAW.
(If you capture the opening clicks from your mix to the vocal track as you transfer back to the DAW, it makes it easy to line things up).

Then add any processing in the DAW.

I used to print the reverb from the VS-880 on the vocal track - because I really like that reverb.
But that makes it VERY hard to do anymore processing on the vocal. That reverb accentuates a lot of stuff.
That gets out of control fast. So now I'm transferring the vocal over dry... And I'm still experimenting with vocal processing...

Just thought you might like to know "you're not alone"....

floyd