Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

Floyd, one of the jaw-dropping observations you made was about songs that are more than 6 months to a year old. That was a wakeup call to me, because I tend to think in longer spans than that. But, now that you've said it, it makes sense... and it also makes me realize how unaware I am of the past 6 months trends in music.

Pat - so you are saying that you think the song you might hear on the radio are perhaps years old?

Keep in mind that I am only talking about how things work in Nashville (where there has always been an environment that treats the songwriter as an important part of the business).

And, my point was that if you are writing stuff that sounds JUST LIKE what is on the radio today, you are behind the curve. By AT LEAST 6 months - more likely a year - but in some cases it might be longer.

If someone were to pick songs for a CD that were written in the last few weeks (all "fresh"), how long would it be before you and I heard one of them on the radio. The search for material will go on for a couple of months. It takes some amount of time to record those song. Time for mixing. Time for mastering. Time for the record company to gear up for the push. Time to market and grease whatever wheels are required to get airplay... Generally 6 months for that to happen. A year, maybe?

Some songs do get recorded years after they are written. But someone has to really believe in it. A publisher has a very small window to pitch songs to an artist. A handful. A single meeting. Half hour to an hour? They have a group of writers writing all the time - let's say 15 - a small house. If the handful of their favorites that they have chosen to pitch - because they think they are hits - don't get selected for a CD, after a VERY short amount of time, they stop pitching it - they move on to the new stuff - they have to place songs to make a living. They don't spend years pushing the same songs that aren't getting chosen....