Originally Posted By: Sundance
Herb,

.....that market will soon be overcrowded and difficult to break in and actually make money but there is much more demand so perhaps it will balance out.......
I am not currently a member but I can assure you TAXI is NOT a ripoff company.

Josie

It's already crowded and the bar has been raised. The music has to be good, well written, and produced and recorded to high standards. There are a few folks who make a living from this niche and a ton of others who supplement their daytime income with music. The money on a cut varies from around $5 for a cut played in a TV show as underscore for 10 seconds, to tens of thousands in a national TV commercial for a major product in an "all in" license deal.

I met a few of the TAXI heavy hitter stars at the LA road rally and yeah, TAXI is for real. The listings are legit. Most folks who don't get forwards are falling short of the mark in one way or another. The songs are either not well written, well recorded, or the wrong genre.... in other words, off target.

I submitted a bunch of songs while a member there and got about the average of 10% forwards. Out of all those I ended up with several signed into a very top tier East coast library. As it turned out the pres of the library signed a number of my songs, including the one that the TAXI screener "returned".

Getting past the "guardians of the gates" is the hardest part of the job. Having said that, while I disagree all the time when I get a song rejected by anyone, the fact of the matter is, most of the time, those folks are professionals. As such, they have heard music and know instantly whether a song has potential or not. They instantly spot the issues that keep the song out of the running. I find myself doing a similar thing as I listen now. I hear issues that keep songs from being commercial. Yeah, the song is good, the person really tried hard, but the reality is that it's just not able to make it over the bar into the professional class. And please don't misunderstand me. This is not putting anyone down. We're all just having fun and writing what we feel.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/13/14 08:32 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.