When it comes to picking an interface, the external interface will always be better than the factory sound card that is in the computer.

Especially for recording music like we do. While the factory card works fine for mp3 and video sound, when you work with multitrack audio and especially soft synths, you need a sound card/ interface that can handle the load and get the music to the speakers in sync regardless of the number of tracks and synths. The factory card can rarely do this.

So.... yeah, Get an external interface. Just be sure to check that it has the following:

1. It should connect with USB
2. It should run native ASIO drivers and not use codecs or wrappers.
3. It should have (at least) 2 high impedance inputs for guitars and 2 low impedance inputs for mics.
4. It should have phantom power for condenser mics
5. It's nice to have a software control panel and DSP FX
6. Be sure it has sufficient outputs to get the signals out to where you need them.

I consider the interface to be the heart of the home studio. So, when you choose one, be sure it fits all the requirements you have currently and may need for any planned upgrades to the studio over the next 5 years.

It's better to spend a few dollars more to get the features you may need, than to save a few bux and go cheap and end up with an interface that doesn't have the ability to do what you need.

My advice: Do your research. Determine your needs. Settle on an interface you think fits that need. Talk to other folks with that same interface and see how well they are liking it. Buy from a store that offers a minimum of 30 days no questions asked full refund in case you are not happy with it.

My 2 cents

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.