Thank you very much for taking the time Gary. My responses are in parentheses
==========================================================================================

Go to the Opt. menu and select MIDI/Audio driver Setup. I don't know if you have a MIDI keyboard
(Yes.......Alesis QX49)

or such, or if you have an External MIDI synth, but if you do, set your MIDI Input out Output drivers for your MIDI Interface.
(IN=QX49 Out=GS wavetable)

Next, at the top right of the box, under the Synthesizer/Sound Card drop down, select General MIDI instrument Misc.
(Check)

Below that, verify that the Checkbox for Use VST/DXi Synth is checked
(Check.

IF you are playing from some sort of MIDI controller, i.e., a MIDI keyboard with no sounds, verify that the Route MIDI Thru to MIDI Driver box is checked.
(Check)

Below that, there is the VST/DXi Synth Settings button. Please press that.

The VST/DXi Synth/Plugins box will open.
(Nothing opens. Tried switching all the Midi out= options. THe color of the box changes briefly when I click on it but that is all that happens)

At the top right, there are four drop downs, and at the top left, there are buttons for each of the parts. Please select 'Default Synth' button at the bottom of the column.

The Top Drop Down on the right side is the only drop down used for Synths, the rest of them are plug ins. The Top drop down CAN be used for plug ins, also, if you have an audio track only.
From the Drop Down menu, select the <DXi> Coyote WT. Below that, make sure the second drop down says Forced MIDI Channel = NONE.

Click the X to close out of this window. This will now bring you back to the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup Window.

At the bottom right hand side, please press the Audio Settings button.

This opens the Audio Drivers panel.

At the Top right, I recommend that you have ASIO as your driver type, but it may not work, so you may have to go to MME.
Below that is the Audio Drivers button. Please press that.
This will give you a list of available sound devices on your computer. Select the output that is connected to your speakers or headphones. Click OK to exit back to your song.

Press Play.

If it does NOT work, I will need to know what kind of sound card you have
(RealTek High Definition Audio, I think. How do I find out? It is a Lenovo V5700 laptop, windows 7 64bit with 6GB memory)

, what your settings are, and as much detail as possible about your set up to help troubleshoot it.

(Alesis QX49 keyboard with usb connection powered by a seperate power supply.
Lenovo V570 with RealTek High Definition Audio Speakers)

(Question. Since I don't even know what kind of sound card I have it probably is not such a good one I suspect.
Is there a way that I can add an external sound card using either hdmi or usb connection? THough I thought
that was what Coyote WaveTable was about?
Tell me any other information you might need.
Thanks very much)

Gary