I think what made Ringo one of the best drummers in the world, was his sense of taste. While not a 'flashy' drummer. He could always keep the beat. And he came up with perfect drums for every song the Beatles recorded. In many songs he acted more like an orchestra drummer..

Almost anybody can play four on the floor.. But only Ringo could come up with those tasty often very subtle parts.. One of Paul's songs, he just played his palms on his legs, the perfect accompaniment..

John and Paul's songs were always very tight and compact.. None of their recorded product had extended solo's of any kind. If you listen to the end of the medley on Abbey Road, George, Paul, and John are each taking 2 bar solo's for a while.. This is the only song to have a drum solo too.. It would have been amazing to hear them at the end of their Germany days, they were perhaps the tightest they ever were.. They stretched stuff out, and improvised a lot.

The main thing to consider, is the personalities of the Beatles. Their was a pecking order, each one had strengths and weaknesses. I don't think anyone but those six (Brian Epstein, and George Martin) and several other key personnel could have achieved what they did.. If you read several Beatles books (which I have).. It started to unravel the day Epstein died.. They held on to it for so long, cause their accountants were telling them to do so, and they really didn't know anyone else but each other.. Lennon freaked out on one of his Solo Plastic Ono band gigs.. He was one of the most famous musicians in the world, and we had never played with anyone else but the Beatles.
He was scared Sh#$%$#^less.

Last edited by Mark Styles; 06/23/14 03:16 PM.