Rockstar_not, I did not understand your setup completely since both the Focusrite 18i20 and Presonus 1818 VSL have the same number of analog inputs (8) as the R-16. The additional inputs are 8 channels of ADAT, 2 channels of S/PDIF so additional input sources would be necessary to benefit using either unit. Also, Stratocaster is not clear whether they will be using any type of DAW. It sounds more like they plan to record direct into the two R-16's.

If that is the case, I suggest they use one R-16 to direct mic the drums and rather than sync the two r-16's - mix the drums and feed this submix through the stereo outs into a stereo channel input of the second unit. They could record 6 inputs live with the drum stereo feed. If all 8 inputs were not needed for the drums, they could use an input from the first r-16 to record the bass and submix it into the stereo feed to the second r-16 while also recording the drums. Once the drums and bass are on the second unit in stereo, the first unit tracks can then be saved and the 8 input could be used with di's to split the background vocals and send a stereo double to the second r-16 and leave six inputs still available for other vocals or instruments. Good mic selection, mic placement and instrument placement would assist with isolating the inputs. Just my thoughts on this. The r-16's really give them all the recording options they should need to record their band. If they really feel the need to record 16 channels at once, their best option would be to rent a Presonus 16.4.2.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.